Warm up with care

Never leave it unattended: That’s the most important advice South Dundas Fire Chief Chris McDonough has for area residents using space heaters.

He understands the need for people to make use of these heaters, especially during the extreme cold weather. 

In fact, he himself uses one in the municipal office where he works. 

“These heaters create such an intense heat that you just can’t have any combustibles anywhere near the units,” said McDonough.

The two recent house fires graphically demonstrate the consequences of leaving a heater unattended. One was left on with no one at home, the other just in a back room, with the resident nearby. One home was completely destroyed and the other seriously damaged.

“If you need to use a space heater, just don’t leave it alone,” reiterated McDonough.

Since you’re here…

… Thanks for reading this article. Local news is important. We hope that you continue to support local news by reading The Leader, online and in print. Please consider subscribing to the print edition of the newspaper. Click here to subscribe today.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply