House fire ignited by space heater

Only two days after a Stampville home was completely destroyed by a fire sparked by a space heater, South Dundas firefighters were again battling a blaze ignited by a space heater.

Tuesday, January 22, just before 10 a.m., firefighters from the Iroquois and Williamsburg stations were called to the scene of a house fire at 11397 County Road 18.

The fire was called in by a neighbour and passerby who saw smoke coming from the home. 

No one was home at the time of the fire.

Chris McDonough, Fire Chief for South Dundas Fire and Emergency Services, was the first to arrive at the scene.

“I kicked the door open and threw in a (Dry Sprinker Powder Aerosol agent) DSPA,” McDonough told The Leader. It landed very near the source of the fire and doused the flames somewhat until fire crews arrived minutes later to extinguish the blaze.

“A cat was able to survive the fire,” said McDonough. 

The residents returned home about half an hour after fire crews arrived a the scene.

The fire was caused by a space heater left running in the kitchen while the residents had gone shopping.

Firefighters remained on scene until about 1 p.m.

McDonough said that the major difficulty in fighting fires in the extreme cold is keeping the firefighters safe from the effects of the cold and the equipment functioning properly.

Although fire crews were able to save the structure, damage is still quite extensive, estimated at $60,000.

Since you’re here…

… Thanks for reading this article. Local news is important. We hope that you continue to support local news in your community by reading The Leader, online and in print. Please consider subscribing to the print edition of the newspaper. Click here to subscribe today.

Subscribe to Email Alerts

Enter your email address to subscribe to Email Alerts and receive notifications of new posts by email whenever The Leader publishes new content on our website.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply