Exciting Finals in Chubbs Tournament


The annual Chubbs Hockey Tournament played at the arena on the weekend, was once again a huge success with 17 area hockey teams vying for the four division awards in some very exciting hockey action on Sunday afternoon.

Claiming the first of the wins was Sheldon Beckstead’s Buzz On with a 3-2 overtime win against Steve Sypes’ Seelers in the Bud Light division.

Beckstead and T.J. McManus provided the regulation time goals for Buzz On and then in the overtime it was Beckstead who netted the winner.

The six-team Bud Light Division was extremely tight with four teams finishing tied for the top spots with four points each.

Buzz On defeated the Bullet Boys 5-0 and Cooeyes 2-1, but lost to C&S Express 3-1.

The Seelers defeated C&S Express 4-1 and Bullet Boys 8-3, but lost to Cooeyes 7-0.

For their four points, C&S Express defeated Buzz On 3-1 and the Pylons 4-0, but lost to the Seelers 4-1. The Pylons posted their four points with wins over Cooeye’s 3-2 and the Bullet Boys 4-1, but lost to C&S Express 4-0.

With such a crowd at the finish line, the Chubbs organizers looked at penalty minutes to determine who would advance to the final game and the nods went to Buzz On and the Seelers who each drew 12 minutes in penalties in their three games. The Pylons had 16 minutes and C&S Express 20 minutes.

The top goaltender Joe Billings Memorial Award went to the Bud Light Division’s Kane Rutgers who played for Beckstead’s Buzz On. Rutgers gave up just four goals in the three preliminary round games.

The Blue Light division was the next to be decided with Clayton Froats’ local team squaring off against Jimmy’s, an Ingleside based entry.

Tyler Lafortune was the big gun for Froats with four goals in the 5-3 championship win.

Jimmy’s came out strong, to go up 2-0 in the first period on goals by Justin Poulet and Cody Taylor, but in the second, Froats’ regrouped for the comeback.

Gareth Cochrane got it started, followed by Lafortune’s four goal performance.

Providing assists were Riley Nicolaassen, Chris Phifer and Kyle Weegar. 

For his strong play throughout the tournament, and especially in the final game, Lafortune was selected the Tournament MVP and presented the Cam MacLellan Sr. Memorial Trophy.

Next up was the Bud Division which came down to the final between Dave Patterson and Lemire Electric.

Pattersons were quick off the starting line to go up 4-2 in the first period, and although Lemire’s came back to make a game of it in the second (and final) period, it was too little too late.

Pattersons held on for a 6-5 win and the Bud championship.

Their top shooter was Jay Keller who counted three of the six goals.

Lemire’s finished first in the Bud division with five points. They defeated Patterson 8-3 and Wintucky 10-3 and were held to a 5-5 tie by the No Names. Pattersons defeated Wintucky 6-5 and the No Names 2-0.

The last final of the day was for the open Blue division that included just three teams. The division was dominated by Justin Elliott’s Falcons, consisting mostly of former Junior B Lions, who defeated the Snappers 8-5 and Maxville 11-1.

In the final, they met the Snappers and claimed their second consecutive open division championship with an 8-4 win.

Cory Gove led the Falcons scoring with three goals and Greg Millard backed him with a pair. Singles came from the sticks of Chad Galipeau, Dave Wallace and Justin Elliott.

Answering for the Snappers were Kyle Lundy, Chris McFarlane, Randy Mullin and Marty Braymonds.

For the second consecutive year, Falcons defenseman, Mike Carbino was presented the Mike Steward Memorial trophy as the tournament’s most valuable defenceman. 


Since you’re here…

… Thanks for reading this article. Local news is important. We hope that you continue to support local news by reading The Leader, online and in print. Please consider subscribing to the print edition of the newspaper. Click here to subscribe today.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply