Powerplays working in Lions/Rebels 3-3 tie


Over the last couple of years, the South Dundas Bantam B Lions and the CharLan Rebels have displayed quite the rivalry. Last Monday night, October 24, they were at it again. 

With the two teams evenly matched, their fans have come to expect exciting games from start to finish, and Monday night was no exception as they played to a 3-3 tie.

Both teams have several returning players from last year, and the Lions haven’t forgotten that  it was the Rebels who ousted them from the 2011 playoffs in a sudden death fourth game.

In the first period of last Monday night’s,  Zach ‘Big Z’ Frawley had a shaky start and gave up two quick goals in the first couple of minutes.  

The Rebels, Eric Lamarche nabbed the first one, and Tyler Akins made it 2-0. 

The frustrated Lions found themselves scrambling in their own end, and giving up the puck to the Rebels who had numerous scoring opportunities.  

Finally, with 5:40 remaining in the period, Riley Barry put the Lions on the scoreboard with help from Aaron Smith. 

The penalty free, first period saw the Rebels out shoot the Lions 9-5.

Early in the second period, the Rebels took a hooking penalty to give the Lions their first power-play opportunity of the game.  

The Lions had six great shots on net, but couldn’t put one past Rebels goaltender Jasper Leroux.

At 2:55 of the frame, Andrew Jarvis tied the game 2-2 after he blocked a Rebels shot, carried the puck through the Rebels defence and beat Leroux through the five hole.

Cameron Chayer (from Smith and Evan Mullin) gave the Lions a 3-2 lead on a shot from the slot, which beat Leroux on the glove side.

The Lions gave a better showing in the second period to out shoot the Rebels, 12-4.

In the third, ‘Big Z’ found his groove and was standing tall between the pipes.  

With Riley Black in the penalty box for slashing and Andrew Jarvis sitting out a four minute ‘hit to head’ penalty, the Rebels took charge with a five on three advantage for three minutes and 40 seconds.  

The Lions were doing everything right as they worked their way through the penalty kill, but they couldn’t hold on. 

With 43 seconds remaining in the penalties, CharLan turned the pressure up a notch to finally tie the match 3-3.

The Lions had a couple of good scoring opportunities as the seconds ticked away, but to no avail. The first was from on a face off in the Rebels end and the second, in the dying seconds, was from a Quinn Bennis partial breakaway. 

The Lions are looking for a speedy recovery for Spencer Heldens whose wrist was broken during the game.


Since you’re here…

… Thanks for reading this article. Local news is important. We hope that you continue to support local news by reading The Leader, online and in print. Please consider subscribing to the print edition of the newspaper. Click here to subscribe today.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply