Bantam Rep Lions shut out Rangers in exhibition action

The South Dundas “Pizza Hut” Novice B Lions kicked off the 2011/12 hockey season with back-to-back 5-4 and 4-2 wins against the South Stormont Selects.

Here on Thursday night, the Lions opened the season with a 5-4 win over the South Stormont Selects as they held on tightly to their one goal lead late in the third period. With their net emty, the Selects pressed to get the equalizer before the final buzzer but were turned away the Lions defense. 

Lions goaltender Brendan Shaver was tested in the last couple of minutes but stood his ground and kept the puck in front of the goal line.    

The Selects opened the scoring at the 3:30 minute mark of the first period and that score held with saves by goalies Keaton Woodside (Selects) and Brendan Shaver (Lions). 

With 1:04 left in the period, the Lions got on the board when Kayne McCadden grabbed the puck in the offensive zone and made a few moves around the Selects defenders before burying the puck behind Woodside. 

The Selects re-claimed the lead with 10 seconds left in the second when the Lion defence were caught up ice leaving Joshua Broad the lonely Lion to try and stop the Selects charge.     

Throughout the second and third period, the Lions offense carried the play as defenders Emytt Fetterly, Cassidy Bilmer and Spencer Barclay kept the play alive many times at the offensive blue line. 

At 6:26 the Selects took a 3-1 lead when a shot by Chase Duchesne squeaked a puck by Brendan Shaver. 

With the game closing in on only a few minutes left the Lions offense went to work. 

At 9:24 Joshua Broad passed the puck around a Select defender to Ben Lapier who went in on the Selects goalie and beat him glove side. At 11:23 Nolan Henry took a pass form Trent Rae at the Selects blue line and broke in on Woodside to beat him with another great shot. 

On the very next shift Ben Lapier went to work scoring two goals in eight seconds to record the first three goal performance of the year. Owen Fetterly picked up the lone assist on the goals.

In the rematch and resulting 4-2 win, Ben Lapier (from Kolby Latulippe) opened the scoring for the Lions on the power play with 19 seconds left in the first period. 

Early in the second, Lions goalie Brendan Shaver kept the Selects off the board with a huge glove save on a Selects shot from the slot. 

Owen Fetterly gave the Lions a 2-0 lead when he carried the puck down the right wing and wristed a shot just as he approached the slot.

The Selects finally got on the board when Owen Carter banged in his own rebound when he pounced on a loose puck by the Lions net. 

The Lions regained their two goal lead when Kayne McCadden got the puck from Latulippe in the right wing corner and flipped the puck over the goalie to Nolan Henry who was standing all alone in front of the net. 

To his surprise the puck landed flat on the ice, right on his stick. The puck bounced away, but Henry quickly regained control and shot the puck off the Selects goalie’s right pad into the net. 

Kayne McCadden scored with 1:31 left in the second period unassisted.

In the third period, Lions defenseman Spencer Barclay used his head (literally) in taking a scoring chance away from Selects Owen Carter. 

It started when Carter crossed over the Lions blue line, cut into the middle of the ice and let a wrist shot go. The puck hit Barclay on the helmet and deflected out of play. 

The South Dundas “Pizza Hut” Lions open their regular season to-night in Kemptville and travel to Westport on Saturday.

Since you’re here…

… Thanks for reading this article. Local news is important. We hope that you continue to support local news in your community by reading The Leader, online and in print. Please consider subscribing to the print edition of the newspaper. Click here to subscribe today.

Subscribe to Email Alerts

Enter your email address to subscribe to Email Alerts and receive notifications of new posts by email whenever The Leader publishes new content on our website.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply