Investigation into 2017 OPP shooting is “still ongoing”

MORRISBURG – A year after the shooting death of Babak Saidi at the Morrisburg detachment of the OPP, the Special Investigations Unit has not concluded its investigation.

Babak died in the parking lot of the detachment around noon December 23, 2017.

“This file is currently with the director for his review, and as such, it remains ongoing,” said Monica Hudon with the SIU.

She told The Leader it was difficult to say how long the investigation would take.

“Each case has its own requirements and procedures,” she said.

Hudon said that the length of an investigation depends on a number of factors including how long it takes to locate and interview witnesses and analyze evidence.

“In many instances, the Unit must await receipt of reports from external experts and agencies like the Centre for Forensic Sciences or the Coroner’s Office,” she said.

Hudon did not say if the SIU was still looking for witnesses or information from the public regarding the events of the day.

“While the SIU recognizes it is important to resolve cases in a timely manner, the thoroughness of the investigation must take precedence over the length of time it takes to finish an investigation,” Hudon said.

According to a preliminary release from the SIU at the time, Saidi entered the OPP detachment around 11:20 a.m.. There was an interaction between him and OPP officers. Saidi was fatally wounded in the parking lot of the detachment.

The initial release from the OPP that day said that an adult male (Saidi) sustained fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene. An officer was treated for “undetermined” injuries.

No other details have been released by the SIU or OPP.

Saidi, 43, lived near Iroquois, but had lived in Brockville prior to that. He is originally from Iran.

Saidi’s sister Elly told CBC Ottawa on the day of the shooting that her brother suffered from schizophrenia and was required to check into the detachment weekly following a 2014 conviction for assault and battery.

The SIU would not confirm those details.

Saidi had previously been charged December 23, 2016 for allegedly assaulting a 74-year old man from Brockville at the Cardinal Mac’s Milk store. Prior to that, Saidi was charged December 8, 2015 with failure to comply with recognizance during a traffic stop on County Road 2 in South Dundas.

Since you’re here…

… Thanks for reading this article. Local news is important. We hope that you continue to support local news by reading The Leader, online and in print. Please consider subscribing to the print edition of the newspaper. Click here to subscribe today.