On Sunday, October 25, at 10:30 a.m., St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Morrisburg, will hold its last service.
The 149 year old church will close its doors forever on that date, bringing to an end over a century and a half as a vital part of this community. As one member of the parish expressed it, “This will be like leaving home.”
St. Paul’s congregation and clergy invite everyone in the community to join them this Sunday for a service of memories and stories and praise, as they look back at the 25 ministers who served at the church, and the church events which shaped so many local lives.
This Lutheran church has been part of the South Dundas community in many, many ways over the decades. Among the ministers who served the area was the much revered pastor, Ferdinand L. Howald. He was with St. Paul’s, 1946 to 1974.
The “Rev”, as he was affectionately known, served in World War II as the first Lutheran chaplain in the history of the Armed Forces. He also served on the local school board and helped to organize a Recreation Committee for the area (although some will recall that the arena was not open for hockey on Sunday morning when church services were held.) Memories of the Rev will be part of the service.
The October 25 service will celebrate many other memories of the rich Lutheran heritage of St. Paul’s here in South Dundas.
The reverend Douglas Reble, assistant to the Bishop, will lead the service of de-consecration. A luncheon will follow in the Parish Hall.
Join the people of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Morrisburg, at 10:30 a.m., Sunday, October 25, as they say farewell to a church which has served many generations in this community faithfully and well.