• Make sure you have your safety equipment
• Inspect your boat
• Monitor the weather
• Make and file an sail plan
• Carry and use official nautical charts
• Plan to avoid local hazards
• Fuel safely
• Be aware of carbon monoxide dangers
• Load your boat properly
• Know the rules of the road and safety on the water
• Know the restrictions that apply to your craft and the area you are in
• Communicate efficiently in the case of an emergency
• Be prepared to react to an emergency.
“If you are on any type of vessel, please ensure you follow the rules and regulations as outlined in Transport Canada’s “SAFE BOATING GUIDE”. Knowing is surviving and it could save a life” – Inspector Paul Bedard, East Region Manager, Traffic and Marine.
In SD&G, our dedicated Marine Unit is in full force patrolling the St-Lawrence River ensuring the safety of boaters and aquatic activities. Please abide by the noted recommendations above and report any unsafe incidents to police.