Kathleen Harkness


A lifetime resident of the area, Kathleen Harkness (nee Sloan) passed away at the Woodland Villa Nursing Home in Long Sault on Wednesday, April 3, 2013. She was 98.

Kathleen was born in Edwardsburg Township on November 13, 1914, to her parents Bert and Carrie (McFadden) Sloan.  She was the youngest child with one older sister Estella and two brothers Lloyd and Stanley.  She attended the local public school and went on to further her education in Spencerville.  

Kathleen then moved to Iroquois to work at Brouse’s Dairy. She loved to spend her evenings and Sundays skating with her friends at the rink which is where she met her future husband Harold Wesley Harkness who played hockey there.  

On Nov. 4th 1936, Harold and Kathleen were married in Shanly, and they began their married life on the Harkness farm on the 4th concession of Matilda Township, which they developed into a successful dairy farm and apple orchard named ‘Harbeth Farm’  

Kathleen and Harold were never apart from each other and their lives were a true partnership. Their lives were full and busy but they always made time for their daughter Mary, helping her with school projects and taking her to movies, picnics, ball games and hockey games.  

They were great fans of the Inkerman Rockets and the Morrisburg Combines. Their daughter Mary especially enjoyed the visits to the ice cream parlour on Saturday night after shopping. 

Kathleen also found time for gardening, canning and freezing the produce. She was a great cook and baker.  She made beautiful birthday cakes.  

Kathleen was a great seamstress. As a result Mary always had a new dress for every occasion and Kathleen made sure that Mary always wore the right socks and shoes to go with the dresses she made.  

She always found time for her church–Dundela United, and she served for many years on the Matilda Women’s Institute. 

Kathleen worked hard every day and she used to fall asleep at night reading the Ottawa Journal.

When Harold became ill in 1979, they sold the farm and they retired to a home on Orchard Way in Morrisburg.  Harold died in late 1979, and Kathleen had to face her life without him.  

She then began to devote more time to her church, Lakeshore Drive United, the SSS Christian Womens’ Group, Morrisburg Women’s Institute, the senior citizens group, bowling and she spent many hours making quilts for the Red Cross and for her family.  Some were displayed at the quilt shows and sold.

Kathleen always put other people first and was always concerned with those around her.  She was a very unselfish person and she never judged others.    

She was happiest with a pot of soup brewing, her famous apple pie in the oven and her salads with the vegetables cut in small  pieces all exactly the same size. The family always knew Kathleen’s sandwiches at any function–they were the ones with crusts cut off.

In 1959, Harold and Kathleen welcomed their son-in-law Al into the family and soon became best friends.

In 1960, their first grandson Steve arrived, and in 1963, their second grandson Doug. 

Steve and Doug spent a lot of time on the farm with Poppy and Grandma and soon learned the rules were much more lenient there than at home.  They always went home with a toy and a treat.

As her grandsons grew and began families of their own, Kathleen welcomed, with love, her granddaughters-in-law Deana and Janis, her great-grandsons Chris, Scott, Patrick and her great-granddaughter Kendra. 

They were all very special to her.

After 18 years on Orchard Way, Kathleen’s health started a downward trend and she moved to the Iroma apartments in Iroquois.  Her many friends, new and old and Iroquois United church now became her focal point in life. 

She was dedicated to her church and to her family and depended on God’s love to guide her.  Kathleen lived at the Hartford retirement home for a short time and finally at the Woodland Villa.

Kathleen is survived by her daughter Mary Bueley of Morrisburg, her grandsons Stephen (Deana) Bueley of Edmonton and Doug (Janis) Bueley of Winchester and great-grandchildren Christopher, Scott, Patrick and Kendra. She is also survived by nieces and nephews.  

She was predeceased by her husband Harold, her son-in-law Allan Bueley, her sister Estella Connors and her brothers Lloyd and Stanley Sloan.     

Friends called at the Marsden and McLaughlin Funeral Home, Iroquois, on Sunday from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Funeral service was held at the funeral home on Monday, April 8th at 11 a.m., with Rev. Janet Evans officiating.  

Interment followed at Dundela Cemetery. 

Pallbearers were Patrick Bueley, Wayne Disheau, Charles Waddell and Donald Barkley.  

Donations to Winchester District Memorial Hospital would be gratefully acknowledged by the family. Online condolences may be made at marsdenmclaughlin.com.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply