Trying to warm a back bedroom on a very cold night had drastic consequences for a local family.
January 20, firefighters from the Iroquois station were called to 10781 County Road 40, at 9:10 p.m.
When they arrived, they found a two storey single family dwelling, fully involved. Firefighters from the Williamsburg Station were called to assist.
“With the extreme cold temperatures and strong winds it was very difficult for firefighters to contain the flames to the two storey structure and not have exposure travel to the adjacent properties on both sides,” said Fire Chief Chris McDonough of South Dundas Fire and Emergency Services.
They did manage to contain the damage to the house, but it was a total loss.
The family, including two children under four years of age, was home at the time of the fire.
They managed to escape and were safely at a neighbour’s home when firefighters arrived. The father suffered minor injuries to his hands when he tried to extinguish the flames. His injuries were treated by EMS workers on-scene.
A space heater was left running in the back bedroom, while the family was in the front living room. They smelled smoke and when the mother investigated she discovered the wall and dresser adjacent to the heater on fire.
Fire crews cleared the scene at 3:30 a.m. Damage is estimated at $160,000.