Wiring blamed for Williamsburg house fire

 

Friday evening, January 11, at 6:15 p.m. homeowners returned to their County Road 18 residence to find their house full of smoke.

They could see flames around the furnace area so they called 911.

“The owner did try to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher, but the fire had travelled across the crawl space to the opposite side of the house,” said Chris McDonough, fire chief for South Dundas Fire and Emergency services.

The fire was quickly extinguished by firefighters from the Williamsburg and Morrisburg stations who attended the scene.

“Upon investigation, the cause of the fire was an electrical short in the wiring below the furnace area,” said McDonough, who estimated damage at about $10,000. 

The fire chief also noted that no working smoke alarms were present.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply